John Borden (1729-1801)
Two hundred and eighty-seven years ago, John Borden was born on 12 May 1729 in Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island as the second child of Thomas Borden and Mary Briggs. He had five siblings, namely: Job, Mary, Joseph, Sarah, and William.
When he was 17, he married Susanna Pearse, daughter of Richard Pearce VI and Susanna Lawton, on 16 Oct 1746 in Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island.
John Borden and Susanna Pearse had the following children:
- Hope Borden was born on 28 Oct 1747 in Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island. She married Ezra Brownell on 20 Oct 1768 in Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island. She died before 1810.
- Thomas Borden was born on 07 Jan 1748 in Portsmouth, Rhode Island.
- Richard Borden was born on 09 Nov 1750 in Portsmouth, Rhode Island. He died before 1801.
- Benjamin Borden was born on 26 Jul 1752 in Portsmouth, Rhode Island.
- Ann Borden was born on 20 Apr 1754 in Portsmouth, Rhode Island. She died before 1801.
- Joshua Borden was born on 22 Apr 1756 in Portsmouth, Rhode Island. He married Elizabeth Pierce in Jan 1780 in Pomfret, Windham, Connecticut.
- Mary Borden was born on 28 Mar 1758 in Portsmouth, Rhode Island.
- Sarah Borden was born about 1760 in Rhode Island.
- Susannah Borden was born on 17 Sep 1762 in Portsmouth, Rhode Island.
- John Borden was born on 26 Sep 1764 in Portsmouth, Rhode Island.
- Ruth Borden was born on 24 Jul 1766 in Portsmouth, Rhode Island.
At some point, John Borden left Rhode Island and relocated to New York. The births of his kids, except Sarah, were recorded in the records at Portsmouth, Rhode Island, so perhaps he probably moved to New York after 1766.
He died on 11 Jun 1801 in Washington Hollow, Dutchess, New York. He was 72 years old. He was buried in Northrop Ground, Lithgow, Dutchess, New York. His estate was probated on 15 June 1801 in Dutchess County, New York. His will gives us some very basic information about his surviving family and property.
…and in case you were wondering… yes, we are related… John Borden was the first cousin 5x removed of the infamous Lizzie Borden. To present it a different way, Lizzie was a 6th cousin 2x removed of Lona Iona Fawcett. So, a very distant relative.
Where is he in the tree?
Ancestry.com, New York, Wills and Probate Records, 1659-1999 (Provo, UT, USA, Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015), ancestry.com, New York, Dutchess County Wills, 1751-1903; Index, 1790-1905; Author: New York. Surrogate’s Court (Dutchess County); Probate Place: Dutchess, New York.
Ancestry.com, Rhode Island, Vital Extracts, 1636-1899 (Provo, UT, USA, Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014), Ancestry.com.
John Borden III. Find A Grave. Web. 8 May 2016. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=113071049&ref=acom.
Weld, Hattie Borden, Historical and genealogical record of the descendants as far as known of Richard and Joan Borden who settled in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, May 1638 (Los Angeles, Calif.?: unknown, 1899?), ancestry.com.