Jacob W. Phillips (1781-1847)
Jacob W. Phillips was born on 27 Sep 1781 in Claverack, Columbia, New York as the first child of Wilhelmus Philip and Magdelena Ostrander. He had seven siblings, namely: Margrit, Petrus, Johannes, Wiliam, Sarah, Beata, and Anna Barbara. Jacob was baptized on 07 Oct 1781 in Claverack, Columbia, New York at the Reformed Dutch Church.
When he was 19, Jacob married Christina Dodge, daughter of Peregrine Dodge and Louisa Head, on 23 Jun 1801 in Claverack, Columbia, New York.
Jacob W. Phillips and Christina Dodge had the following children:
- William James Phillips was born on 01 Dec 1801 in Claverack, Columbia, New York. He married Margaret Daved on 28 Jan 1830 in Wawarsing, Ulster, New York. He died on 10 Jul 1884 in Oswego, Kendall, Illinois.
- Elizabeth Sophia Phillips was born on 15 Apr 1804 in Claverack, Columbia, New York. She married Nathan Wilcox Jr. on 04 Jun 1828. She died on 15 May 1869 in Cortland, De Kalb, Illinois.
- Lena Maria Phillips was born on 02 Jul 1806 in Claverack, Columbia, New York. She married Leonard Winegar on 30 Jan 1827 in Springfield Center, Otsego, New York. She died on 22 Jan 1861 in St Johnsville, Montgomery, New York.
- Barbara Phillips was born between 1807–1811 in New York. She died between 1845–1850 in Aurora, Kane, Illinois.
- Lucy Caroline Phillips was born on 15 Sep 1812 in Fort Plain, Montgomery, New York. She died on 19 Jul 1894 in Cortland, De Kalb, Illinois.
- Charlotte Phillips was born between 1813–1820 in New York. She married Albert Marshall on 14 Jul 1841. She died about 1848 in Illinois.
- Peter Leander Phillips was born in 1821. He married Altha Cordelia Dodge on 27 Aug 1843 in Kendall, Illinois. He died on 08 Apr 1845 in Oswego, Kendall, Illinois.
- Celinda Amelia Phillips was born in Aug 1825 in Springfield, Otsego, New York. She married Alexander A Dodge on 12 Jan 1842 in Illinois. She married Heman Dodge Jr. on 01 Jan 1846 in Kane, Illinois. She died on 05 Jul 1915 in San Bernardino, San Bernardino, California.
- Jacob Lonsbury Philips was born in 1830 in New York. He married Altha Cordelia Dodge on 01 Jan 1846 in Kane, Illinois. He died on 15 Apr 1890 in Cass, Nebraska (Age: 60).
Jacob W. Phillips served in the U.S. Army for a time in 1814 and 1815. This was during the end of the War of 1812, which officially was fought between 18 Jun 1812 and 23 Mar 1815. Living in Upstate New York, near where much of the war was waged, it was probably inevitable that he served.
Jacob and Christina moved their family throughout New York. In 1810, they lived in Minden, Montgomery, New York. But, in 1816, he bought land in Springfield, Otsego, New York and was living there at the time of the 1820 Federal Census.
He sold that land in Springfield in 1826.
In 1830, they lived in McDonough, Chenango, New York. Jacob was said to have been a stagecoach driver on the Hudson Valley Trail.
Christina Dodge Phillips died sometime around 1834. Jacob was left a widower. His oldest children were already married, but he still had young children as well. The youngest, Jacob Lonsbury was only about four at the time of his mother’s death. Celinda Amelia was about nine and Peter Leander was about 13. So, Jacob became a single parent. Not surprising, and thankfully for us, he remarried.
When he was 53, Jacob married Betsey Holmes, daughter of Thomas Holmes and Elizabeth Baldwin, about 1835 in Chenango, New York. Betsey was the widow of Gershom Breed, with whom she had had five children.
Jacob W. Phillips and Betsey Holmes had the following children together:
- Francis Jerome Phillips was born on 17 Apr 1836 in Chenango, New York. He married Mary Harkiston on 22 Oct 1861 in Kane, Illinois. He died on 06 Mar 1917 in Sugar Grove, Kane, Illinois.
- Harriet Eliza Phillips was born on 01 Jul 1838 in New York. She married William H Orme about 1857 in Illinois. She died on 11 Dec 1900 in Nebraska.
- “Tom” Albert Aveldo Phillips was born on 26 Dec 1841 in Sugar Grove, Kane, Illinois. He married “Millie” Amelia A Brace in 1866. He died on 31 Jul 1925 in Aurora, Kane, Illinois.
Jacob W. Phillips died in Sugar Grove, Kane, Illinois at the age of 65 sometime between 10 Aug 1847, when he wrote his will, and 7 Aug 1847, when it was probated.
Where is he in the tree?
How can I learn more?
The Phillips Family book covers the life, descendants and ancestors of Jacob W. Phillips. Also see the Phillips page for more information.
Ancestry.com, U.S. Army, Register of Enlistments, 1798-1914 (Provo, UT, USA, Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2007), www.ancestry.com, Record for Jacob W Phillips.
Ancestry.com, U.S., Dutch Reformed Church Records from Selected States, 1660-1926 (Provo, UT, USA, Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014), ancestry.com.
“New York Land Records, 1630-1975,” images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89WT-SF5N?cc=2078654&wc=M7HT-YZ9%3A358136101%2C358656001 : 22 May 2014), Otsego > Deeds 1824-1825 vol HH-II > image 425 of 609; county courthouses, New York. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V2HP-LP4, Family Search – The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, discussion list (familysearch.org).